Equal parts self-aggrandising, self-referential and self-conscious, this is a page dedicated to my life, work, family, friends and the things that make me go mmm...

Wednesday 21 February 2007

Boy Meets Boy

When I first put my hand up to cover Adam and Steve I was hoping to interview Parker Posey, but my editor shot down that idea. Boo! Craig Chester turned out to be a good alternative.

Gay love story Adam and Steve is the latest cinematic offering from indie-superstar Craig Chester. He spoke to Luke Malone about love, dance-offs and the complications that come with anal sex.

Luke Malone: You wrote, starred in and directed Adam and Steve. How long did it take to bring your idea to the screen?
Craig Chester:
It took about three years total from writing the first page to seeing it premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival. It had a very cliché indie film journey - there were other producers at one point, we got the money, we lost the money, et cetera. It had a lot of ups and downs. Once Funnyboy Films came onboard, things happened very fast and suddenly we were shooting.

How do you feel now that it’s out there in the big, wide world?
It’s been an interesting experience. I absolutely love my film, the way a mother might love her child. It’s been incredibly satisfying to see it before so many audiences who laughed and really got it. The movie requires a certain mindset, namely that you are willing to have a good time and just let go. It’s fun to see audiences choose to go there with us.

The movie deals with the notion of finding your one perfect mate, albeit humorously. Do you believe in the Carrie Bradshaw-esque view of love?
I do. I think the amazing thing about love is that as much as you might feel you are shaping your destiny, you aren’t. I think fate has a lot to do with it and our part is to try and get out of the way. The second my dad met my mum, he said he knew they would get married. It’s that kind of trust in one’s own instincts that matter. But I think our generation kind of enjoys playing the part of the neurotic. We have so much information that we don’t know what to do with it. We have Oprah, Dr Phil, self-help books; everyone feels like an expert on relationships these days. Especially single people, which I think is infinitely funny.

The film also suggests that people can be right for each other, even if the timing is wrong. Do you agree?
I do think that timing is everything. But it’s rarely about the other person. Adam and Steve would have never made it had they hooked up when they were young – they both had too much living to do. When they come together as adults, they were ready.

One of the characters says, “You’re not the person I imagined I’d end up with.” Do you think most people are surprised by the one they end up settling down with?
Absolutely. For years, I rolled my eyes at my older gay friends when they dated twenty-somethings. I used to have all these rules, these notions of how love works, what doesn’t work; I believed in a lot of generalisations about people and specific dynamics. Then, of course, I fell in love with someone 15 years my junior and it’s probably been the most drama-free, supportive, healthy relationship of my life. God has a sense of humour, obviously. The older I get, the less I feel certain about.

What’s your boyfriend like?
His name is Brandon and he’s 24. Chicken Hawk Down!

Do you think that gay guys are more likely to partner-hop because they have unreal expectations?
I think gay men live in a culture of desire where there is just a limitless supply of temptation. This makes it difficult to commit to one person. I also think gay men are in love with longing – they have grown up comfortable with longing and rarely getting. So they fetishise longing. I think Brokeback Mountain touched them so deeply because it was a movie about longing for love but not getting it. Also, there is this idea that there is always someone hotter or better or more perfect just around the corner. Being in a relationship requires a certain amount of humility. It’s about giving to someone else, not just about getting, getting, getting.

Adam and Steve’s first night together is spectacularly gross! Do you have any similar first date experiences?
I think every gay man that has ever had anal sex has had an embarrassing moment in the bedroom – we have sex where we poop. I’m just pointing out the obvious and that scene strikes a real chord with gay men – they laugh for a solid five minutes on average after that horrible moment and I think it’s because we’ve all been there to a, mostly, lesser degree.

Was it fun working with Parker Posey?
Parker is fantastic. She brings a lot of ideas and always raises the bar. We both have very high standards for our work and ourselves and we get frustrated by people who don’t.

Why do you think she strikes such a chord with the gay boys?
Parker is an outsider – gay men relate to that. The way she perceives the world is very gay. She sees the camp in things. And she loves gays; I think they see that in her.

There are a lot of comedians in the cast. Was the film as much fun to make as it looks?
It was imperative that I create a sense of playfulness on the set for just that reason. We all had a blast. It was so much fun – the most fun I’ve ever had creatively. No cat fights, although we were all incredibly stressed as we only had three weeks to make the film and there were these elaborate set pieces like the battle dance.

At the big battle dance finale, you seemed to know your moves. Did the cast have to practice for hours to get it right?
We had five weeks of pre-production. My one day off was a Sunday and that was the day I went to 12 hours of dance rehearsal – it was rough. We had an amazing choreographer, Troy Christian, and he got these amazing dancers. You do your homework and then you try and let go and just have fun. Directing a musical number with you in it is really hard, though; that was the part that was the most stressful.

Are you more comfortable onscreen or in the director’s chair?
Acting makes me very neurotic and insecure. Directing makes me very neurotic and insecure. So, I’m not really ever comfortable when I work – I’m always trying to push myself, walk through a wall of fear or insecurity. But I truly enjoyed directing and want to do more of that.

You’re pegged as an indie actor and director. Do you have any desire to move more into big studio productions?
I don’t look at things as indie or Hollywood. It really is about the specific project. There are bad indies and bad Hollywood movies. I just want to do good work.

There’s a lot of slapstick humour and dancing in the movie. Have you always been a physical comedian?
Not at all. My body of work has been as a dramatic actor in movies like Swoon or I Shot Andy Warhol. No one would have cast me in this role, so I had to cast myself. I also love comedy. It’s just high drama. We are all running around, arms flailing, freaking out – these people are funny because they take themselves so seriously. Comedy is really just anarchy.

In the movie, Adam’s family are adorably accident-prone. Is this a reflection of your own family?
Yes. I grew up with my dad always saying there was a Chester Curse. Like nothing every worked out well for us. When I got older, I realised there was no such thing. But with my movie I thought, what if there really was? So I invented the Bernsteins!

Speaking of families, you were raised in a born-again Christian church. How do you think this has shaped your outlook on life?
Growing up in that church had a profound impact on me. I truly understand that world and saw first hand the sadness and hopelessness of those people’s lives. I thank God I’m gay. If I hadn’t been gay, I might never have questioned the status quo and gone off and had my own journey.

How was the movie received on the festival circuit?
I’ve been to dozens of cities with the film, all over the world. It’s incredible and I’m amazed at how well the film played in places as different as Texas and Cardiff! The movie has a very broad appeal.

Have you ever been to Australia?
I would love to come there. Parker shot Superman there and had the best time. I’m hoping I’ll be there soon!

So, what’s up next for Mr Craig Chester?
I’m working on a new script with Chris Kattan and also writing a movie about the Hollywood closet past, present and future.

No comments: