Equal parts self-aggrandising, self-referential and self-conscious, this is a page dedicated to my life, work, family, friends and the things that make me go mmm...

Wednesday 21 February 2007

Come Into His World

A few months back I got to chat with a little guy named Cazwell. This was the result.

Cazwell is one of the sexiest guys in music and with the release of All Over Your Face, an ode to the facial, he’s also one of the smuttiest. He spoke to Luke Malone about boys, sex and why he wants to work with Paris Hilton

Luke Malone: What was it like growing up in Worcester, Massachusetts?
Cazwell:
Worcester is trashy. I call it the armpit stain of New England. They have an incredibly large number of check cashing places and, when I lived there, a big heroin problem. It’s a place where people go to settle rather than grow; I got out of there as soon as I could. Last time I visited I had an anxiety attack and had to leave.

What was it like moving to New York?
Intimidating, but exciting. It was an obvious next step for me. In New York you have access to everything you need to make your dreams come true. I love New York. I want to recreate the vibe that existed here in the ‘70s through my music.

What is it about ‘70s New York?
The ‘70s was a hip time because it was before AIDS or any major technology. People don’t go out as much now as in the ‘70s because they can just stay home on the Internet and hook up. Also, it was the beginning of the gay revolution that started after Stonewall in ‘69, so it was the most exciting time to be gay. I love the grittiness of the ‘70s. When I see old pictures of Times Square I’m completely mesmerised.

What kind of things are we missing today that existed in ‘70s?
Hookers on the streets, smoking in movie theatres, more sex clubs, unsafe sex, bearded men, the Bee Gees, natural body types, body hair… I want gay people to be cool again.

What’s wrong with gay culture today?
Crystal meth is what’s wrong with gay culture today.

Who are your musical influences?
It constantly changes. Right now I’d say the Bee Gees, Notorious B.I.G., Beastie Boys, Björk, Missy Elliott, The Ronnettes, Public Enemy, M.I.A…

Do you have any non-musical influences that find their way into your work?
I’m inspired by a lot of fashion. I love Jeremy Scott, Alexander McQueen, Heatherette, Frankie Morello and just watchin’ the styles of people on the New York streets.

What’s it like being a white fag in the world of rap?
I don’t consider myself to be in the world of rap. I’m in the world of Cazwell. The world of rap seems to have some rules that don’t apply to my life. I’m just an artist who is colourful, expressive, fun and outspoken.

So, do you have a problem with the tag “gay rapper”?
Yes, I do. I will never label myself as a gay rapper because, one, it’s boring and, two, I’m much more than gay and much more than a rapper. I expect journalists and other people in the industry to pigeonhole me that way because they need to. But I’m sure that the longer I make songs and videos and the more I perform, the more I’ll be known for my work rather than just being gay.

You’re touring in November. Where are you going to be playing?
I’m booking shows now. I’ll be all over the States; I’ll do a London takeover, too. I’d love to come to Australia.

We’d love to have you.
Great – hook me up!

The video for All Over Your Face is amazing. Did you have fun making it?
I had a lot of fun but it was also a lot of work. Francis Legge [the director] and I peered into the lives of club kids and icons like Kim Aviance, Mother Flawless Sabrina, Tre, Raquel Reed, Amanda Lepore and the rest. I love watching people getting ready to go out.

You’re friends with Amanda Lepore. How did you two meet?
The first time I met her was at a club. There were all these gay guys swarming around and admiring her. I walked up to her and said, “Do you ever get sick of gay guys just telling you how beautiful you are?” And she said, “No, I never want it to stop.”

You also work together on music. What’s that like?
Honestly, it’s an honour to work with her and be her friend. She is the most interesting person I’ve ever met – focused, sweet and full of positive energy. She has very good instincts so I trust her judgement and always take her advice.

You’ve also worked alongside people like Kevin Aviance, Boy George and the girls from Avenue D. What do you like best about working with other artists?
I really love working with, and writing for, other people. Before I was solo I worked with a girl in the rap duo Morplay, so I learnt a lot about compromise, working as a group and how to get my point across without seeming bossy. I also write much faster when it’s for someone else’s song.

Who else would you like to work with?
I’d like to work with Paris Hilton. I want to make a very camp yet autobiographical album for her. The funny thing is that her album is camp but she doesn’t seem to realise it. Everyone seems to be in on the joke except her.

You’re lyrics are pretty sexy and slutty. Do you get many guys coming up and trying it on at your gigs?
I assume you mean getting down my pants… not too much. I’m told I appear to be kind of intimidating. If I really like someone I’m typically the initiator. I actually lead a very banal life – I’ve never even been to a sex club.

Then why have you created this highly sexualised musical persona?
I don’t think about sex any more than any other guy. I just have the opportunity to express what’s on my mind through music, so I end up lookin’ like a nymphomaniac, but I’m not. Well… I can be with the right guy. Like I said, I’ve never been to a sex club but that’s because I’m socially awkward in those situations. I prefer to hang out and get to know someone before we hit skins, even if it’s only for a few minutes. Backroom situations feel weird because no one talks and it feels like a shameful silence.

What kind of guys do you like?
I like guys that smile, have developed their own personal style, know who they are and have some kind of passion in their life. I prefer not to date smokers or bad tippers. And liars are the worst. Oh, and they’ve gotta be at least a little wild in bed to keep me interested.

Would you try to get into your pants if you saw yourself on the street?
I would be attracted to myself. I don’t think I’m all that or anything – I certainly have my good days and my bad – but I believe we all, especially gay men, tend to dress in a way that represents the kind of guys we are attracted to. My clothes are a combination of ‘70s, skater, hip-hop and preppy styles. If I saw a dude rockin’ my style on the train I would totally clock him.

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever been asked by a fan?
Hmmm… some fan from Sweden emailed me and requested a pair of my dirty underwear. I don’t have a problem doing it, I’m just too lazy to put them in a box and go down to the post office.

What’s up next for Cazwell?
I plan on making a video for every song on my new album, that, and become a household name.

No comments: